Designing Excellent UI/UX with a Design System
Users today expect more from their products and experiences than ever before. Developers and designers need to create high-quality, attractive web, mobile, and software applications, all while maintaining a consistent UI/UX and branding.
However, this ideal often runs aground when faced with real-world challenges. Poor communication between designers and developers can lead to UI/UX inconsistencies and duplicated work. Maintaining the interface becomes more and more complex as time goes by and as team members join and depart the project.
To solve these problems, many UI/UX designers are making use of design systems. A design system is a platform that serves as a “single version of the truth” for all of your UI/UX design. It collects UI components in a centralized location, and establishes a shared design language, standards, and philosophy for all members of the team.
The notion of a design system borrows from the methodology of atomic design. This philosophy suggests that good UI/UX should have elemental building blocks that can be composed in a modular fashion into larger patterns and templates.
Depending on the use case, design systems may contain information such as:
- Color schemes
- Photographs, logos, icons, and illustrations
- Typographic information like font families, sizes, and styling
- User interface components like buttons, forms, and dropdown menus
The benefits of a design system include:
- Scalability: Collecting this information under one roof makes it much easier to scale a product later on, to expand a product to different platforms and devices, and to develop multiple products with the same UI/UX.
- Collaboration: Design systems make it drastically easier for all members of the team—designers, developers, product managers, and marketers—to collaborate and share resources. Storing your design assets in a single location ensures that everyone has access to the most up-to-date versions of the files they need to excel at their jobs.
Design as a Key Part of Development
Here at Very, we treat UI/UX design as an integral part of the development process. From the beginning of the project, we work with our clients to build exceptional user-centric products and interfaces that best fit their needs and objectives. We can bring your idea from prototype to finished product, or perform a much-needed design refresh for an existing product.
Want to learn more about our approach to product design? Get in touch with our team today to see how we can help.